We need Dark Mode when we are working at night. The facility to activate it is available on the Docs mobile app. If you use Google Docs on your mobile phone with the help of the Google Docs app, you can activate it from the inbuilt options. But, to activate Google Docs dark mode on the desktop, you must install a separate extension.
This guide explains the step-by-step methods of activating dark mode for desktop and mobile devices.
Turn on Google Docs dark mode on Mobile.
The steps are similar in Android and iPhone apps.
- Open the Google Docs app on your device.
- Click the “Three lines” icon on the top left corner.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Find “Choose Theme” in the theme section and tap on it.
- Select “Dark” from the list.
Activate Google Docs dark mode on the desktop.
This feature is not available in Google Docs by default on the desktop. But, by using a browser extension, we can activate this mode on the desktop. You can follow our tutorial on ‘how to install an extension in Google Chrome.’
- Install DocsAfterDark Extension on Chrome browser and pin it. It is also available for Opera, Firefox, and Edge browsers.
- Open Google Docs on your desktop.
- By default, the global toggle is on this extension. If not, go to the extension and turn it on by clicking the extension icon.
Now, Google Docs dark mode is activated on your desktop. You can turn off the global toggle from the extension for normal mode.